COLYTE AND FLEET'S PREPARATION
Day Before Examination:
(ALSO KNOWN AS TRILYTE OR NULYTELY)
Please purchase your Colyte and 1 small bottle of Fleet Phospho-Soda in advance.
- Mix Colyte according to instructions.
- Breakfast may include a cup of coffee or tea, with NO MILK and NO
NON-DAIRY CREAMER. One English muffin or 2 slices of white bread and 2 eggs
scrambled can be eaten.
- PLEASE DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING RED OR PURPLE.
- Lunch should consist of clear liquids only (liquids through which you
can see a light bulb clearly).
- Clear liquids are permitted until midnight.
Please drink your Fleet Phospho-Soda - you may mix it with any clear liquid
at 6 PM
- Put the Colyte in the refrigerator about 1-2 hours before drinking (or
you may drink the Colyte with ice cubes to make it easier to drink). Begin
drinking Colyte at 7:00 p.m. Drink a large glass (about 8 oz) every 10
minutes. It is best to drink the whole glass rapidly, rather than sipping
small amounts continuously. If necessary, you can take 2 to 3 hours to
finish, but CONTINUE DRINKING UNTIL THE BOTTLE IS EMPTY.
- Bowel movements should occur about one hour after the first glass of
Colyte but may not start until 2-3 hours – that’s fine. They will continue
periodically for approximately 1-2 hours after you finish drinking the last
glass. By this time the stool should be liquid and clear/yellowish.
- Feeling of bloating and/or nausea is common after the first few glasses
of Colyte because of the large volume of fluid ingested. This is temporary,
however, and will disappear once bowel movements begin. Try to get up and
walk around while drinking it.
- Do not eat anything until after your examination the next morning. NO
MEDICATIONS. (Unless your physician indicated otherwise).