Visicol Colonoscopy Preparation
Day before the colonoscopy:
Breakfast : You may have a light breakfast which may include coffee, eggs, white bread, toast, juice, low fiber cereal, do not have oatmeal. One 8 ounce can of ensure or boost is suggested as well. (Do not take ensure plus or boost with fiber).
For lunch, you may have clear liquids. This includes Jell-O, Popsicles, Italian
ice, soup (clear soup only without vegetables or noodles. Plain chicken soup is
fine), soda, Gatorade, coffee, tea, water, and juices (no pulp). Essentially,
you can have any liquid through which you can see light.
· For the rest of the day, take clear liquids only (as described above).
- 8 ounces of clear liquids
Dinner: Clear liquids only as described above.
· , start taking the Visicol tablets as directed on the instruction sheet. This should take approximately 90 minutes. Take three Visicol tablets with at least 8 ounces of clear liquid every 15 minutes. The last dose will be 2 tablets taken with at least 12 ounces of ginger ale. Do not exceed 20 tablets.
· 9 PM drink 8 ounces of clear fluid.
You may drink as much water as you like from until .
· Begin your second dosing regimen the 3 - 5 hours before the exam. Take this regimen the same way as the day prior to the exam (take three tablets with at least 8 ounces of clear liquid every 15 minutes. The last dose, again, will be 2 tablets taken with at least 12 ounces ginger ale).
After nothing to drink other than the second set of Visicol tablets. You may take medications if approved by the doctor.
No aspirin, Motrin, Nuprin, Advil, Alka-Seltzer, vitamin E or Ginkgo Biloba for 5 days prior to the procedure. Tylenol is permitted.